10 Skin Care Misconceptions Revealed

10 Skin Care Misconceptions RevealedHave you ever found yourself wondering if cucumbers really decrease puffiness around your eyes or what the science behind SPF is? If so, continue reading to discover common skin care myths and the truth behind them. This is a three part series so stay tuned to continue to discover the truth among the most common misconceptions.

Common Myths:

1. Cucumbers reduce puffiness around your eyes.

The truth is that while cucumbers may be soothing and can hydrate your skin temporarily, this is only because the main ingredient in a cucumber is water, 90% to be exact. The remaining 10% is fiber which means that you can get the same results from a simple cold compress.

2. Facial exercises tone muscles, making your skin appear younger.

Your face is the only part of your body where your muscle is attached to your skin without ligaments and supporting tissue. This means that any type of facial exercise actually creates more lines! Facial movement causes wrinkles, not the other way around. This is why wrinkles are typically found around the eyes and mouth.

3. Vitamin E minimizes scarring.

While Vitamin E is an antioxidant which aids in skin regeneration there is no scientific evidence that it decreases scarring. In fact, there has been some research proving otherwise.

4. Skin pores open and close.

Pores are openings in the skin that allow oil to make its way to the surface. If you have large pores this is likely due to genetics or scarring caused by popping pimples. While pores do expand when exposed to steam they simple do not close, they contract. They can however become clogged.

5. The higher your SPF the better.

SPF only refers to protection against UVB rays. What you need is sun protection that has both chemical and physical blocker, plus antioxidants. A high SPF gives consumers a false sense of security. The truth is an SPF of 50 is not much more protective than an SPF of 15. To break this science down, an SPF of 30 has only 2% more protections than an SPF of 15, likewise an SPF of 40 has only 1% more protection than an SPF of 30. So choose wisely and always remember to reapply every 90-120 minutes.

6. Layering SPF products increases your sun protection.

If you apply a foundation with an SPF of 10 over a moisturizer with an SPF of 15 your sun protection does not equal an SPF of 25! The product with the highest SPF is the product that will protect your skin from the sun. Again, please remember to reapply!

7. Topical creams that contain collagen can replace lost collagen.

Applying products with collagen or elastin have not been scientifically proven to penetrate your skin’s dermis. While they can provide hydration, the truth is only collagen injections are scientifically effective at replacing lost collagen.

8. Mineral oil is bad for your skin.

The truth is cosmeceutical mineral oils are a very effective ingredient in remove excess oil from your skin. As science has evolved, this oil has also, meaning it is much safer than the oils that were used years ago. Simply put, oil attracts oil, and the mineral oils that are formulated for skin care products today will not harm your skin or clog your pores. Rather, they will help remove excess oil from your skin.

9. Mineral oil is comedogenic (pore clogging).

Fact: Cosmeceutical-grade mineral oil s are non comedogenic. The confusion is caused by the myth that industrial-grade mineral oils are the same as those used in cosmetics. The truth is that high quality cosmetic mineral oils must meet stringent safety standards. In order to effectively remove oil (sebum) from pores (follicles) you need a mineral oil-based product. Water alone cannot melt or remove oil from your pores.

10. Preservatives in skin care products are dangerous.

Preservatives function to prevent bacteria and fungal growth! These growths not only spoil the product but can also transfer onto your skin, meaning preservatives are essential. While there is concern about parabens in products, there is not enough research to prove that topical application can be harmful.

There you have it! Keep your eye out for the next article debunking 10 more skin care myths!